I kind of made this recipe up on the fly. I had thawed some chicken and then realized I didn’t have the ingredients to make what I wanted. The first time I made it, it was good but was missing something. This recipe is the result of that. I added everything it was missing (like spices and flavor!) and called it a day. Delicious, easy, healthy comfort food. (Again with the poor picture. I’ll take better next time!)
1 small Onion – Diced
3 cloves Garlic – Minced
3 Chicken Breasts – Boneless Skinless – Cubed
1 cup Mushrooms – Sliced
3 tbsp Flour – Gluten Free or Wheat
5 tbsp Butter or Non-Dairy Alternative
2 cups Milk or Non-Dairy Alternative
2 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Cayenne Powder
1 1/4 cup Cheese – Skim – Grated
3 cups Elbow Macaroini – Gluten Free or Wheat
1/2 cup Bread Crumbs – Gluten Free or Wheat
Parmesan – for topping
– Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
– Cube chicken breasts and brown in frying pan until almost cooked through.
– While chicken is cooking, boil macaroni (or noodle of choice) until al dente – Don’t overcook, as you need to bake them still.
– When chicken is cooked, put in bowl and set aside. Using same pan, sautee onion, mushrooms and garlic until onions are translucent.
– When macaroni is par-cooked (should be soft but have a bit of crunch left), drain and set aside. Using same pot, melt 3 tbsp of margarine, add flour, paprika and cayenne. Whisk. When margarine and flour are combined, add milk and whisk until smooth. Bring to a light simmer and add cheese. Stir until melted.
– In large bowl combine, chicken, onion mixture, noodles and cheese mixture. Stir until all ingredients are mixed evenly. Spread into casserole dish.
– Melt last 2 tbsp of margarine in pan, add bread crumbs and mix. Spread bread crumbs over top of casserole dish, grate parmesan over top and put in oven for 30 minutes.
– Serve while hot.
– If you don’t care if your meal is gluten free, you can use regular bread crumbs, white or whole wheat flour and regular wheat pasta – whichever brand you prefer.
Weight Watchers points per serving – 9
Calories – 367.7g
Fat – 9.5g
Fibre – 2.4g
Sodium – 604.1mg
Carbohydrates – 36.3g
Protein – 32.5g