Who doesn’t love ribs? I mean, aside from Mike, who doesn’t? Anybody else out there as crazy as my man to not like ribs? Lunacy! I’ll tell you though, the reason he doesn’t like ribs is the bone. He’s not a fan of using his fingers to eat – doesn’t want to ruin his manicure… Just kidding, he just doesn’t like messy fingers. I don’t either but it’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make for the tender, saucy, succulent meaty ribs. And pizza – of which he also uses a fork and knife. So, I thought I’d do something nice for him and hunted down some rib fingers. Basically, the rib meat without the bone. I whisked together some homemade, no-cook bbq sauce and let the crockpot do the work. I put them with some mashed potatoes (also a treat around here) and some garlic green beans. The sauce is misleading, a taste from the pot is overly vinegary and I really wasn’t sure about it. But then I tried the meat and had no doubts. It was perfect. Sprinkled a bit of sauce over my potatoes and had a pretty well-rounded, delicious meal if I do say so myself!
4 lbs Beef Ribs – 5 lbs with bone
2 cups Onion – Thinly sliced
1/2 cup Hot Water
2 tbsp Brown Sugar
1 1/2 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tbsp Paprika
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cayenne
1/4 cup All Purpose Flour – Gluten Free or Wheat
1/4 cup Honey
1 tbsp Yellow Mustard
1/4 cup Lemon Juice
– In large crockpot, lay the ribs on the bottom, top with sliced onions.
– In small bowl, whisk together hot water and brown sugar until sugar is dissolved.
– In medium bowl, combine dissolved sugar and the remainder of the ingredients. Whisk thoroughly until full combined.
– Pour over ribs and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
– If you would prefer to use a pre-made bbq sauce or your favourite recipe, please do so. If using pre-made bbq sauce, use 1 cup and mix with the hot water, flour, honey and mustard – omit everything else. This recipe makes 2 cups of sauce so I just used it all.
Weight Watchers points per serving – 11
Calories – 417.4
Fat – 16.4g
Fibre – 1.6g
Sodium – 462.6mg
Carbohydrates – 20.5g
Protein – 46.1g