Ahhh corn bread. Crumbly, savory, moist and buttery. That’s what makes perfect corn bread in my mind. Fresh corn bread is like fresh from the oven bread; warm with some butter on it and it doesn’t get any better. In this case, add some fresh jalapenos (and maybe some bacon!) and they’re so perfect. The jalapeno doesn’t add spice so much as that yummy jalapeno flavor. If you want them spicier add a tsp of cayenne powder. Then all you have to do is bake ’em and eat ’em! This recipe makes a LOT so if you’re not going to share, you might want to half the recipe so you can eat them all while they’re fresh. Don’t forget the butter!
2 1/2 cups Cornmeal
1 cup All Purpose Flour – Gluten Free or Wheat Flour
2 tbsp Splenda or Sugar
1 tbsp Salt
4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 cup Non-Fat Dry Milk
3 Eggs – Room temperature or 4 1/2 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer
1 1/2 cups Warm Water – 105-115°F
1/2 cup Sunflower Oil
2 cups Cream Style Corn
4-6 Fresh Jalapenos – Finely diced
2 cups Cheddar Cheese – Grated
1 large Onion – Grated
– Preheat oven to 425°F
– Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
– In a smaller bowl, lightly whisk the eggs and add the water and oil. Whisk and pour into dry ingredients, mixing until fully incorporated.
– Add creamed corn, jalapenos, cheese and onion.
– Spray two 8×8″ baking pans or one 8×8″ (9×9″ works too) and a 12 cup muffin tin. I preferred these in muffin format. These only take 30 minutes to bake so if you don’t have two pans or enough space in your oven, you can do them back to back.
– Bake for 30 minutes or until knife comes out of centre clean.
– Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
– Bacon. These would be amazing with bacon! Cook up your favourite bacon, make it crispy, put some in the mix and sprinkle some on top before you bake. That sounds heavenly!
Weight Watchers points per serving – 4
Calories – 159.7
Fat – 6.7g
Fibre – 1.6g
Sodium – 507.4mg
Carbohydrates – 19.8g
Protein – 5.5g