I don’t think I’ve actually ever had potato leek soup before. Parsnip Leek soup yes, and it was amazing, but not potato. I don’t what the hell I’ve been thinking all this time! It’s incredibly delicious. I never thought that 2 main ingredients that are kind of bland on their own, could pack such a heart-warming and soul-soothing punch. I’m all over this. It’s the perfect season for this soup too. Creamy, thick, hot and super filling. Maybe because I couldn’t stop at only one bowl! For some reason I was always under the impression that potato leek soup wasn’t an ‘easy’ soup. I don’t know where I got that notion but I was WAY off. I threw this in the crock pot, walked away and came back to magic. Make it with some Baking Powder Biscuits to round out the perfect winter meal!
2 tbsp Butter or Dairy Free alternative
3 Leeks – Washed and Sliced – Light and Green parts only
1.5 lbs Potatoes – Peeled and Diced **SEE NOTES
1 stalk Celery – Diced
1 Carrot – Diced
2 cups Vegetable Broth – Low Sodium
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Thyme
1/4 cup Whipping Cream *Optional
6 slices Bacon of choice *Optional
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese *Optional
– Saute leeks over medium heat with butter until soft.
– Remove to slow cooker and add diced celery and carrot to hot pan. Saute until soft, adding salt, pepper and thyme.
– Remove to slow cooker, add vegetable broth and diced potatoes to crock pot.
– Turn slow cooker on to low and go do your thing. Come back 7 or so hours later and using an immersion blender or food proceesor, puree soup until smooth. I added about a quarter cup of whipping cream but add it based on your preferred consistency. Different potatoes will give different results. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
– Sprinkle crispy bacon and parmesan cheese over top when serving.
– If you don’t have a slow cooker or are coming home to the NEED for Potato Leek soup, you can make it in a stock pot. Follow all the same steps except boil the potatoes separately until almost soft then add them to the stock pot with leeks, carrot, celery and vegetable broth. Simmer on low for 30-40 minutes and then puree.
Weight Watchers points per serving – 6
Calories – 225
Fat – 6.5g
Fibre – 4.2g
Sodium – 907mg
Carbohydrates – 33.7g
Protein – 7.6g