Spicy food is my ideal comfort food. Not SOOO spicy that I can’t taste the food, but a nice, heated zing, with some form of starch is so perfect. Like Spanish Rice for example. It’s spicy, very flavorful but my absolute favourite fall back meal when I need a pick me up. I also love Indian food. My heart melts for the complex flavors, spices and textures. Creamy sauces, curries, turmeric, vegetables and chicken. Yum. The problem though is, I find Indian food so comforting, I can’t stop eating it. I’d be more than happy to sit down and eat an entree for two of Butter Chicken. This recipe of easy ingredients, simple method and a delicious and satisfying result is a great recipe for those on a budget, but also those of us trying to include more veggies in our diet – but still feel satisfied. Ya know what I mean Steve?
Original recipe here
1 small Cauliflower – 1 3/4 lb Cauliflower
1 1/4 lb Yukon Gold Potatoes
3 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds or 1 tsp ground Cumin
3/4 tsp Salt
1 medium Onion – Diced
2 cloves Garlic
1 medium Jalapeno – Diced with seeds
2 tsp Ginger – Minced
1 tsp ground Cumin
1 tsp Turmeric
1/2 tsp Cayenne
1/2 cup Water
– Turn oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit and place a cookie sheet on a rack at the top 1/3 of the oven.
– While oven and baking sheet are preheating, wash and dice your potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes (I just quartered and sliced them), cut up your cauliflower into bite sized flowerettes, discarding most of the stem.
– Toss potatoes and cauliflower with Olive oil, cumin seeds and salt. Carefully remove baking sheet from oven, spread veggies onto it and keeping in mind that it’s very hot, put it back in the oven. Bake for about 20 minutes, tossing once, until veggies are softening and starting to turn golden.
– While potatoes and cauliflower are cooking, in a large skillet, sautee onion, garlic, jalapeno and ginger. Sautee 2-5 minutes then add the remainder of the spices. Stir and add water, scraping up little brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
– Cook two minutes, remove baking sheet from oven and add potatoes and cauliflower to skillet. Fold in carefully, coating potatoes and cauliflower in spice mixture. Let cook on low medium for 10 minutes and serve over Basmati Rice.
Serves – 6
Weight Watchers points per serving – 6
Calories – 220.3
Fat – 7.2g
Fibre – 5.6g
Sodium – 316mg
Carbohydrates – 36g
Protein – 4.9g