I do like quiche. I won’t hide that fact from you but I do prefer quiche that doesn’t have a bazillion eggs in it. To top all of that off, I haven’t made quiche since going gluten free. It’s not so easy finding gluten free pie crusts. This friendly, and riotous woman at The GF Authority suggested I use this recipe as an alternative. It worked surprisingly well. Crispy, cheesy, perfectly gluten free. I used the whole recipe and it was good but I prefer my original version of Broccoli Quiche. Of course, you can use whatever ingredients and spices you want. Mike’s suggestion for next time was Ham and Caramelized Leeks (yum!) but then he suggested yams and that weirded me out. I do have to draw the line somewhere. I’d like to try a Mexican Quiche – black beans, corn, cayenne powder, chili powder and salsa on top – we’ve even got the rice! Give it a whirl, let me know what you think.
2 cups Rice – Brown or Sushi – Cooked (I used sushi rice)
1/4 cup Cheddar Cheese
2 tsp Marjoram or Oregano **SEE NOTES
1 cup Milk – Skim or Dairy Free Milk
2 cups Broccoli – Cut up into bite sized pieces and blanched *SEE NOTES
1 cup Sharp Cheddar or your favourite cheese
4 Green Onions – Finely Diced
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
– Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
– In medium bowl combine rice, 1/4 cup cheese, marjoram and one egg. Mix thoroughly and press into the bottom and up the sides of an 8 inch pie plate.
– Bake the crust for 10-15 minutes or until the edges start to brown and the middle is bubbling.
– While the crust is baking, prepare your filling. Blanche the broccoli and mix it with the rest of the ingredients thoroughly and pour into the crust. Turn down the oven heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the quiche for 30 minutes. The middle might be a little liquidy after the allotted time. Cover in more cheese and turn your oven to broil. Broil until the cheese starts to turn brown and remove from oven. Let sit for ten minutes, slice and serve!
– Use anything you want to spice up your crust a bit. A little sea salt, some minced garlic … you decide!
– I think 2 cups of broccoli was just a smidge too much. Maybe 1.5 cups would be perfect.
– I honestly didn’t want to bother blanching anything. I mixed everything into the bowl and threw it in the microwave for two minutes. That was sufficient to blanche the broccoli.
– The nutmeg was fine but next time I’ll change it up.
Weight Watchers points per serving – 5
Calories – 184.9
Fat – 9.9g
Fibre – 1g
Sodium – 467.1mg
Carbohydrates – 11.4g
Protein – 13.1g