I’ve never made enchilada sauce before. This recipe looked easy, I had everything I needed here (except sour cream) and I figured it was a sauce that could have many uses. I changed the recipe a bit, there wasn’t nearly enough garlic or jalapenos so I spiced it up a bit! Turned out to still need more jalapenos. I associate Enchilada sauce with some level of spice and mine didn’t have it. It was still delicious, lots of flavor. I used some of it to cook chicken thighs in in the slow cooker. Made pulled chicken in enchilada sauce tacos. With Mexican Black Bean Sauce of course! There’s so much left over that I’m going to freeze it so I can use it in something like Spanish Rice or marinating more chicken!
Original recipe found here www.thefauxmartha.com
28 oz Tomato Sauce or Crushed Tomatoes
1 Sweet Onion – Diced
6 cloves Garlic – Minced
1 small jar Jalapenos or 1 Fresh Jalapeno with seeds
3/4 tsp Chili Powder
3/4 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/4 tsp Thyme
2 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
3/4 cup Chicken or Vegetable Stock – Low Sodium
1/4 cup Sour Cream – Fat Free **SEE NOTES
Salt & Pepper
1 tsp Splenda
– Combine all ingredients in a large food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
– In large saucepan, simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. **SEE NOTES
– Serve (It’s that easy!)
– I totally bought cottage cheese instead of sour cream (It’s not the first time I’ve done that!) However, it was a satisfactory mistake. I still used it and it was still delicious! Don’t be afraid to make the same mistake – or just use cottage cheese if you don’t have sour cream on hand.
– The original recipe called for one clove of garlic and 6 slices of jalapeno. Not enough whatsoever. I used 6 cloves of garlic and 18 slices of jalapeno. Good, but still not enough jalapeno. Mmmm spicy.
– I poured 1 cup of Enchilada sauce over chicken thighs in the slow cooker and used them in delicious tacos. I’m going to divide and freeze the leftover sauce so I always have it on hand. If this is your intention, don’t simmer the sauce. Freeze it raw and simmer it when you’re ready to use it.
Serves – 10 ish – Makes between 5 & 6 cups
Weight Watchers points per serving – 1 per 1/2 cup
Calories – 46.4
Fat – 1.1g
Fibre – 1.7g
Sodium – 500.5mg
Carbohydrates – 8.6g
Protein – 1.8g