I’ve missed burgers. I haven’t attempted gluten free meat burgers yet but I do have gf cornbread crumbs on the sidelines waiting patiently for the day. In the meantime, I found this recipe on Pinterest and promptly ran to the kitchen after repinning. I had ’em cooked up and ready to eat in less than half an hour which is perfect. Just perfect! They quickly became Mike’s favourite meal and because of this recipe, it is mandatory that I keep a good stock of quinoa in my house at all times. Heaven forbid I have no quinoa when Mike gets a hankering. That’d probably be akin to denying me coffee. I paired them with some veggies and some sauteed beef strips and shrimp, but they’re also a perfect with yam fries!
Original recipe found here
1 cup Quinoa – Dry
2 cups Water
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Cottage Cheese – Fat Free
3/4 cup Cheddar Cheese – Grated – Skim
1 Carrot – Peeled and Grated
2 Green Onions – Sliced thinly
3 tbsp Quinoa Flour (or other GF flour)
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Splenda or Sugar
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Cumin
Oil for frying – I used Sesame Oil
– In large saucepan cook your quinoa. Quinoa, water and a large dash of salt. Bring to a boil and let simmer, stirring occasionally until quinoa is cooked and pan is dry. Don’t let your quinoa burn though so when almost all of the water is gone, turn the heat off.
– In medium bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and add the quinoa when it is done cooking. Mix thoroughly.
– Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Divide out the quinoa mixture into patties in the frying pan. I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup to ensure evenness and to get a nice round patty that wasn’t going to fall apart. I squished them down a bit in the pan but you don’t have to.
– Cook slowly so you don’t burn your patties and so they stay together. Should take about 4 minutes each side.
– Serve. I topped mine with honey mustard.
Serves 10 (1 patty per serving)
Weight Watchers points per serving – 3
Calories – 123
Fat – 3.3g
Fibre – 1.7g
Sodium – 172.7mg
Carbohydrates – 14.9g
Protein – 8g