I don’t like oatmeal. The texture makes me gag. At least, that’s what I thought. See, my past experiences with oatmeal have been pretty much limited to oatmeal from a package that you just add water to. Totally unappealing! I eat cottage cheese with chia seeds and buckwheat groats for breakfast almost every day. I LOVE it. But once in a while I need to break away from that. This is perfect. It makes a large serving so you will definitely be satisfied until lunch. Plus, you can make it in a jar, screw on a lid and take it to work with you – best part is, it’ll be ready to go when you wake up so it’s even more perfect if you know you won’t have time to make breakfast. This is the point that your mom should pipe up and tell you it’s bad to not eat breaky! But maybe your mom will feel better about you eating something so packed with fibre and protein. Make this and then add whatever you feel like at the time.
Original recipe found here
1/2 cup Rolled Oats **SEE NOTES
1/2 cup Vanilla or Greek Yogurt **SEE NOTES
2/3 cup Milk or Non-Dairy Alternative
1 tbsp Chia Seeds
2 tbsp Strawberry Jam
1/2 ripe Banana
OR 2 tbsp Peanut Butter
1 tbsp Honey
OR use absolutely any combination you feel like!
– In jar or fridge-safe dish combine first four ingredients. Cover and refrigerate over night.
– When you’re ready to eat it, add jam and banana or any other combination of ingredients you want. Eat or take to work with you.
– The original recipe called for regular oats and said not to use quick rolled oats. That’s all I had and I used them sooooo yeah. They worked just fine so knock yourself out.
– Original recipe called for greek yogurt but I don’t buy it so I used Vanilla. UPDATE: I highly recommend not using greek yogurt. At Easter I made this for my family, and my mom had a serving of greek yogurt left over so I threw it in my brother’s oatmeal. He couldn’t even eat it, said it was like eating a tablespoon of peanut butter. I thought he was crazy until I took a bite. It was SO thick that it really did compare to eating a tablespoon of peanut butter. Ick.
– I used almond milk instead of regular skim milk. Delicious.
– The options are absolutely endless. I also add a tbsp of buckwheat groats before I refrigerate. Gives it a bit of a yummy crunch but you can add crushed peanuts etc.
**Nutritional Info does NOT include your additions so keep those extra calories and points in mind
Weight Watchers points per serving – 10
Calories – 305.7
Fat – 3.7g
Fibre – 11.8g
Sodium – 180.7mg
Carbohydrates – 72.5g
Protein – 19.6g