I took this out of my mom’s Weight Watcher’s recipe book from the 90’s. Not only were most of the recipes a bit old school but they’re very Southern American. Only 4 or 5 of the recipes sounded appealing at all. This was one of them and it quickly became one of my favourite fall back, comfort food recipes. I make this when I feel like crap, when I’m tired/lazy and when I want something savory and spicy to eat. It was a LOT easier to make than I thought and it makes a huge amount of food. Perfect for those of us who need leftovers for lunches or frozen dinners.
1 lb Hamburger or Bison – Extra lean **SEE NOTES
1 small Onion – Chopped
1 medium Green Pepper – Diced
2 cups Stewed Tomatoes
2 tbsp Tomato Paste
1 can Green Chilies *Optional
1-3 Serrano Chilies – Chopped **SEE NOTES
1/4 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Chili Powder
Salt and Pepper
1 small can Kernel Corn – Drained
1 1/2 cup Long Grain Rice
1 cup Water
– In large wok cook hamburger. Don’t drain off any excess water.
– Add onion, green pepper and chopped chili peppers. Sautee 3 minutes and add stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, canned green chilies, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
– Add kernel corn, one cup water and add rice. Simmer until rice is fully cooked – about 10-15 minutes.
– Serve and enjoy
– You could easily substitute ground turkey for the hamburger – or veggie ground round if that’s how you swing.
– We like spicy so use your own discretion with the chilies. The can of green chilies might be enough for you, or skip the can and just dice up two hot chilies
Weight Watchers points per serving – 5
Calories – 194
Fat – 6g
Fibre – 3g
Sodium – 399.7mg
Carbohydrates – 27.5g
Protein – 8.8g