This is my mum’s recipe. This is the salad that gets her invited to all the parties. You know, kind of like “Hey, I’d love it if you came to my birthday party … but only if you bring Broccoli Salad” … and then there’s never enough! It is the salad we request when we go to visit and if there ever is leftovers, they don’t make it past breakfast the next day. It’s all as simple as cutting up some vegetables and frying some bacon!
1 large head Broccoli
1/4 medium head Cauliflower *Optional
1/2 lb Turkey Bacon – Cooked and cooled *Optional
3/4 cup Miracle Whip – Fat Free
3 tbsp Splenda or Sugar
1/8th cup Milk or Non-Dairy Alternative
1 large handful Sunflower Seeds
1/2 Red Onion – Diced *Optional
– Slice bacon into medium size chunks and fry until crispy. Put on paper towel, drain as much fat as possible and put in the fridge to cool.
– Chop Broccoli and Cauliflower so that you’ve removed the majority of the stems going right up into the flower. Try to keep just the flowerets though having some stem is not a big deal. Put in a large bowl with sunflower seeds, diced onion if you’re using it and cooled bacon
– Combine mayo, sugar and milk in a small bowl, mix well and pour over broccoli. Stir until broccoli is coated.
– Cover and put in the fridge. Let chill and serve.
– I used turkey bacon because that’s what I have but if you want to use regular bacon, that’s fine too. Points are calculated with turkey bacon
Serves – 4
Weight Watchers points per serving – 5
Calories – 200.5
Fat – 5.6g
Fibre – 5.5g
Sodium – 700.8mg
Carbohydrates – 31.
Protein – 8.5g