Hell hath no fury like a hot sausage & veggie soup. It’s spicy, filling, delicious and just damn simple! Most of the ingredients are veggies so, in theory, you should have almost everything on hand.
Original recipe adapted (only slightly) from The Art Of Doing Stuff
10 cups Veggie Stock – Low Sodium
6 Hot Italian Sausages – Gluten Free **SEE NOTES
3 tbsp Oil
1 Onion – Diced
1/2 tsp salt
4 cloves Garlic
2 Chilies – Small green – Diced
1 med Sweet Potato – Diced **SEE NOTES
1 Red Pepper – Diced large
1 Zucchini – Diced large
1 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Coriander
1 tbsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Chipotle puree – Canned
4 tbsp Oregano – Fresh
3-4 Heirloom Tomatoes
– In large stockpot heat the vegetable broth. In a separate pot boil the sausages for 10-15 minutes.
– Saute onion and salt with oil until soft. Add garlic, chilies, spices, sweet potato and half the oregano
– Cook for another 10 minutes then add red pepper and zucchini. Add veggies to stockpot and slice cooked sausage. Saute for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
– Put sausage, chipotle puree and diced tomatoes in stockpot. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
– Most sausages I’ve come across so far have been wheat free.
– Use 3 or 4 large potatoes instead of sweet potatoes if you prefer.
– Points will vary depending on what sausage you buy so try to buy as low fat as possible.
– If you don’t want super spicy soup, use Italian turkey or chicken sausage etc.
Serves – 8
Weight Watchers point per serving – 8
Calories – 286.4
Fat – 20.7g
Fibre – 3.5g
Sodium – 1839.8mg
Carbohydrates – 17.7g
Protein – 9.3g