I love watching the Food Network. Chef At Home and Giada At Home are my favourites. They give me so much inspiration. Not only inspiration to get off my butt and cook but to continue on with what we’re doing here, losing weight and getting healthier. Weight loss really is about a lifestyle change. You don’t just have to eat differently but your entire perspective of food has to change! We strive to view everything we eat with the respect it deserves. Pasta was, is and always will be a comfort food. This recipe doesn’t stray away from that but it’s a healthier version. It’s a one dish meal as the noodles cook while it bakes in the oven. Kind of like lasagna! There’s a billion and one ways to adapt this recipe to your preferences. For example, I added shiitake mushrooms. You can add chicken or ground meat or keep it vegetarian if you prefer. Add some zucchini! Or skip the oregano and use chili powder, cayenne, beans and corn for a tex mex pasta. Vegetables and spices add flavor and texture but zero extra bad calories. Real flavor comes from spices, not fat!
1 28 oz can Diced Tomatoes – Low Sodium
2 cloves Garlic
1/4 cup Olive Oil
8 oz Penne – Gluten Free or Wheat
1/4 cup Oregano – Dried
2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
4 to 5 large Tomatoes
– Preheat oven to 450 degrees with a rack in the centre
– In food processor, blend diced tomatoes and garlic until smooth.
– In large bowl combine tomato mixture, olive oil, dry pasta, oregano, salt, pepper. Toss until fully combined.
– Spray a medium sized casserole dish with cooking spray. Slice tomatoes and line bottom of baking dish with layered tomato slices. Line sides of dish with tomato slices. Pour pasta mixture into baking dish and layer tomato slices over the top.
– Bake uncovered 1 – 1.5 hours. Check pasta tenderness in the middle of the dish and determine if you would like them more cooked.
– You can use any pasta you want if you aren’t gluten free.
Weight Watchers points per serving – 6
Calories – 305.9
Fat – 11.5g
Fibre – 8.2g
Sodium – 847.1mg
Carbohydrates – 44.6g
Protein – 10.6g