Ohhh Tandoori. I love you. Since starting this cooking/blogging/dieting thing I’ve been wanting to not only learn how to cook various Indian recipes but to also cut the fat in them. Authentic Indian recipes tend to use a lot of butter and full fat yogurt but this one uses fat free plain yogurt and several spices to maintain that Indian flavor but without the fat content. It’s delicious with a bit of a bite and some heat that doesn’t hang around too long. It makes cooking Indian food look like child’s play! Now if only I had a tandoor oven.
4 Chicken Breasts – Boneless Skinless
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1/4 small Red Onion
1/3 cup Yogurt – Plain – Fat Free
2 cloves Garlic – Large
1 tsp Salt – Coarse
1 small Chile – Serrano or Cayenne – Minced
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
2 tsp Gingerroot – Grated
1 1/2 tsp Coriander – Ground
3/4 tsp Turmeric
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Nutmeg – Ground
1/8 tsp Cloves – Ground
1/2 cup Yogurt – Plain – Fat Free
Pinch Cayenne – Ground
1 tsp Lemon Juice
1 tbsp – Red Onion – Finely Minced
– Peel garlic cloves and put in bowl with salt. Crush into paste. Easiest with a mortar and pestle. Deseed and mince chile pepper. If you want some bite, leave a couple seeds. Add to garlic, mix and then add the rest of the spice ingredients, yogurt and lemon. Mix well.
– Cut an X in the surface of your chicken breasts and rub the sauce into the chicken. Put in fridge and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes. Preheat broiler on med/low. Baste olive oil onto one side of chicken and bake chicken breasts on a broiling pan for 5-8 minutes. Flip, baste other side with oil and bake for another 5-6 minutes.
– While chicken is broiling, make the sauce and onion garnish. Thinly slice 1/4 red onion. Set aside 1 tablespoon worth. Place remaining onion in a bowl with cold water. Cover and put in fridge.
– In small bowl, combine yogurt, cayenne, lemon juice and minced tablespoon of onion. Cover and put in fridge until chicken is cooked.
– When serving, drain and pat dry onion slices. Drizzle a tablespoon or so of yogurt sauce over chicken and garnish with onion. Serve with rice or sauteed veggies.
Weight Watchers points per serving – 6
Calories – 235.3
Fat – 8.6g
Fibre – 1.2g
Sodium – 687.9mg
Carbohydrates – 9.4g
Protein – 29.7g