I got the basis of this recipe from a cute little book called Love At First Bite – A Vampire Lover’s Cookbook. It is the first recipe I tried from it and I have to say it was extraordinarily bland and with zero flavor even though there’s hot chilies in it. So I revamped (bad pun) it and now it’s a simple and awesome recipe that I make when I don’t feel like cooking.
3 Chicken Breasts – Boneless Skinless
2-4 Chilies – Your choice **SEE NOTES
1 tbsp Lime or Lemon zest
1 stalk Lemongrass – Inner portion only **SEE NOTES
1 can Coconut Milk – Light
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
Dash of Cayenne Powder
Dash of Chili Flakes
Dash of Marjoram
Dash of Sea Salt
Dash of Black Pepper
2-4 tbsp Fish Sauce
10-15 Basil Leaves – fresh
3 cups Rice – Cooked – Your choice
– De-seed all chilies and chop. Zest lime/lemon and remove the inner portion of your lemongrass. Put all 3 ingredients in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth.
– Heat vegetable oil on medium heat in large frying pan. Add chili mixture and cook for 2 minutes. Add coconut milk and cook another two minutes before adding chicken.
– Slice chicken breast and add to hot coconut milk, bring milk to a simmer and cook chicken thoroughly.
– While chicken is cooking, cook rice and add all remaining ingredients to the chicken except basil
– Serve over rice with fresh basil on top.
– I used 2 cayenne peppers and a super chili I grew in the garden. Nice tolerable, mild-medium heat.
– I hate the stalks of lemongrass so I buy lemongrass paste and just keep it in the fridge. If you use a pre-made paste, use about 1 tsp for this recipe.
Weight Watchers points per serving – 12
Calories – 283
Fat – 19g
Fibre – 3g
Sodium – 2,168mg
Carbohydrates – 9.3g